26 FITZGERALD'S LANE
Harrison Hicks House
The Hicks' house is in the heart of Rolling Cove at the end of a narrow laneway known as Hicks Drung. The house is surrounded by traditional neighbourhood footpaths that zig zag through the densely packed houses within this historic neighbourhood.
The Harrison Hicks home is one of the more modern homes in Rolling Cove constructed only a few years after Confederation with Canada. This style of home marked a time when the `modern` North American style bungalows consisting of one and a half storeys became a popular building style throughout Newfoundland.
Harrison Hicks (born 1921) son of Hubert (1897-1923) and Jessie Abbott (1898-1974) worked for many years on a small boat with the Department of Fisheries, both as a cook and deckhand. Harrison took two years to build the home completing it as he could find the time and money. While the home was in construction, Harrison, his wife Lillian Power (born 1924) and their two daughters Mary and June lived in his parents' house which was located on the same property. In 1955 after his new home was completed, Harrison tore down his parents' old home.
The Hicks House was known for having a horizontal two over two window design as opposed to the traditional vertical. However, it was still constructed in a traditional Newfoundland style with wide trim and minor rain caps.
The property was traditionally cased by a long stretch of paling fence which will be reinstated to clearly identify the boundaries of the adjacent laneways and footpaths.