HAROLD MOULAND HOUSE
6 FITZGERALDS LANE
Harold Mouland House
The Harold Mouland house was constructed for Harold William Mouland (1911 – 1968) in 1948 by the Mouland brothers. It was common practice at that time to have family members aid in the construction of a new home. Harold, being the eldest of 7 children, was the first to have a new home built. As his younger siblings married, the family also aided in the construction of their homes.
The Harold Mouland property was built in a prominent location on the landscape of Rolling Cove, Bonavista. The home faces Fitzgerald’s Lane but is clearly visible from the main thoroughfare of Church Street. At first glance, the home appears to be a typical low gable style home with two over two windows. However, unlike many of the homes in the neighbourhood of Rolling Cove, the scale of the Mouland house sets it apart, being larger than average. This home represents the last years of this style of construction before a wave of modern design entered Newfoundland following Confederation in 1949. From the 1950s onward, bungalows became the most popular construction style.
Today the home is clad with vinyl siding but still has the original two over two windows with wide trim and the original two over two storms. Unlike many of the homes constructed in the 19th and early 20th century in Bonavista, this home lacked significant architectural details such as rain caps, brackets, and carved gable end mouldings. Instead, the home represents a more simple time after the Victorian area where less emphasis was placed on exterior decoration.
Once fully restored the home will have traditional spruce clapboard, restored original two over two pine windows, new storms and a felt roof. The home will likely have a dual purpose of commercial and residential space, utilized by both Bonavista Living and Bonavista Creative.