Over the years the has property belonged to several individuals before Bonavista Living purchased the home in 2014.
Based on its age and location the home likely had six over six and three over three windows. Currently the home has a sizable addition which will be partially removed by Bonavista Living during the restoration process. Through the removal of this addition, the original roof line of the home, a mid-pitch gable, will be restored. The home will also see the installation of traditional clapboard, a cedar shake roof and wide window trims with decorative rain caps. Once completed the home will be used as a bed and breakfast.
Civic Address: 17 Ryan Hill Road - view property map
Construction: late 1800's
Bonavista Living | P.O. Box 1509 | Bonavista, Newfoundland Canada | A0C 1B0 | Tel: 1.709.468.1848 | Fax: 1.709.468. 7860
The William Fifield house is located on Ryan's Hill across the street from the Ryan Premises National Historic Site of Canada and overlooking beautiful Bonavista Harbour. This late 19th century home was built for William Fifield son of George Fifield and his wife Lillian Power by Lewis Little father of Bonavista Sea Captain Lewis Clyde Little.
Very little information has been found on William Fifield and his family. It is believed that William was originally from Port Blanford and legal documents for the property clearly state that William had relatives living there. Documents also show that following William's death his body was shipped to Port Blandford for burial at the cost of $7.00. His estate was then sold to Mr. Thomas Joy in 1942.
Front and side facade before restoration, 2014.