Cuff (1893-1917) was one of several in the area to go off to fight in the First World War. George was killed in action at Monchy-le-Preux in 1917. Reverend Charles Lench also mentioned George on two occasions and in his book, The Story of Methodism in Bonavista, when writing about the First World War.
The home remained in the Cuff family until 1949 when it was purchased by Bennett Hicks. The Bonavista Historical Society later purchased it from the Hicks family in order to preserve the home. Bonavista Living acquired the home from the society in 2014. When gutting the interior, removing features implemented in the 1960’s, it was discovered that the walls and original staircase were clearly salvaged from an earlier house. This was common practice when smaller and older homes were dismantled and carpenters were able to reuse materials. The Cuff home clearly shows evidence of this practice.
The architectural style of the home is a double peak dormer. However the dormers have a lower pitch than traditionally used by the Strathie firm in the 1880’s. It is currently unknown when the dormers were added to the property but because the pitch is low the style is clearly a copy of the popular Strathie design and not actually of Strathie construction. The windows are a traditional two over two style with very little decoration or embellishment. The home was a simple design for a modest lifestyle.
Once complete this property will be sold as a private residence.
Civic Address: 12 Butt's Lane - view property map
Sale Price; $250,000
Front and side facade during restoration, 2017.
P.O. Box 1509
Bonavista, Newfoundland A0C 1B0
Share this page
Bonavista Living | P.O. Box 1509 | Bonavista, Newfoundland Canada | A0C 1B0 | Tel: 1.709.468.1848 | Fax: 1.709.468. 7860
This property is located in a historic Bonavista neighbourhood, known as Canaille, which was traditionally a poor section of the community known for public houses and the fishing class. Many homes in this area of town were constructed before roads. This is why the narrow laneways snake and wave around the homes today.
William Cuff (1856 - 1928) built this home around the time of his marriage to Deborah Little (1862-1948). The Cuff Family would have been well known in the community as their son, George L.