The Mouland House was constructed in 1893 as part of a duplex shared by Roger Mouland (1865 – 1922) and his older brother Edward Mouland (born 1857). Roger and Edward were two of Mark Mouland and Maria Mouland nee Abbott’s eleven children. Their children were Susannah (1852), Caroline (1855), Edward (1857), Francis (1859), Archibald (1861), Fanny (1863), Roger (1865), Mary (1867), Martha (1869), Arabella (1871) and Dorcas (1873).
In 1915 Roger’s oldest son, Abendego (1893 – 1958) took ownership of his father’s section of the duplex upon his marriage
Civic Address: 76 Roper Street - view property map
Front and side facades before restoration, 2014.
Bonavista Living | P.O. Box 1509 | Bonavista, Newfoundland Canada | A0C 1B0 | Tel: 1.709.468.1848 | Fax: 1.709.468. 7860
to Maggie Faulkner ( 1895 – 1920 ). During this period Abendego and Maggie decided to separate their home from the other half of the duplex and roll it to the far east corner of the Mouland property creating a fully detached single dwelling house. Roger’s section of the duplex was a double bay home with a steep gable roof and two over two windows. However, after the relocation of the home the original two over two windows were replaced with one over one windows with minimal trim. Also during that time, 1915 -1920, a small carpentry shop was constructed on the property and still stands today. During restoration the original two over two windows with wide trim and rain caps will be reinstated.
This home will operate as a seasonal vacation home once fully restored.