This home is located in the historic neighbourhood of Mockbeggar which was settled as early as the 1600’s. It was lived in by fisherman, Andrew Abbott (1892-1974), his wife Mary Jane Mouland (1892-1977) and their three children Selina (1918), Wilson (1928) and Howard (1929).
Andrew and Mary's marriage certificate dates the home to at least 1919. However, due to the scale of the home and materials used during construction, it is believed that it may
Bonavista Living | P.O. Box 1509 | Bonavista, Newfoundland Canada | A0C 1B0 | Tel: 1.709.468.1848 | Fax: 1.709.468. 7860
Front and side facade before restoration, 2014.
be older and possibly belonged to Andrew's father, George Abbott, who married Selina Abbott on March 23, 1886. Once Bonavista Living starts restoration a more accurate date will be determined.
The Andrew Abbott home is one of many homes located on Long Drung and along the Coaker Canal that have been moved from their original location. In Mockbeggar during the early 1900's homes were relocated on two separate occasions. The first was in 1911 to accommodate the installation of a new railway line through Mockbeggar on what is now known as Roper Street. The second lot of homes to be relocated took place under the direction of Sir William Coaker before the construction of the Coaker Canal in 1923. The Andrew Abbott home was relocated during one of these moves; however it can not be determined when the relocation took place or where the home was originally located.
The home is currently covered in vinyl siding and retains no original architectural features. Once Bonavista Living fully restores the property, several original features will be reinstated, such as two over two windows and storms with minimal window trim, as well as traditional spruce clapboard. Once completed this home will be sold as a private residence.