Bonavista Living | P.O. Box 1509 | Bonavista, Newfoundland Canada | A0C 1B0 | Tel: 1.709.468.1848 | Fax: 1.709.468. 7860
Front and side facades before restoration, 2016.
The Mouland House was constructed in 1893 as part of a duplex shared by Edward (1857) and his younger brother Roger (1865 – 1922). Edward and Roger were two of Mark and Maria Mouland’s eleven children. Of their eleven children, Edward and Roger lived in the only duplex built in the neighbourhood of Mockbeggar. Mark and Maria’s other children were; Susannah (1852), Caroline (1855), Francis (1859), Archibald (1861), Fanny (1863), Mary (1867), Martha (1869), Arabella (1871) and Dorcas (1873).
In 1915 Roger’s oldest son, Abendego (1893 – 1958) took ownership of his father’s section of the duplex upon his marriage to Maggie Faulkner (1895 – 1920). During this period Abendego and Maggie decided to separate their home from Edward’s half of the duplex and roll it to the far east corner of the Mouland property creating a fully detached single dwelling house. Edward’s section of the duplex remained where is stands today. Currently the property retains its original clapboard, eave boards, two over two windows and simple window trims, which are all representative of a Mockbeggar home in the late 19th century.